Matthew 18:3

Jesus of Nazareth once said, "In order to have a share in the Kingdom of Heaven, one must turn away from their sins and become like a child." Why "a child"? I wonder if it is because many adults allow themselves to get caught up in the worries of this world. What My Children Taught Me echoes Jesus' challenge: Don't let your heart be fettered by the troubles of this life; become like a child!

25 February 2013

Because You're Daddy



Thirty-two years. That's how long I went before I had to get stitches. Not a bad run, I say. But when you forget you're thirty-two and go diving for a loose basketball, stitches are bound to happen.

I wasn't crazy about the idea of having a small sharp object threaded through my upper lip, but I also didn't want to miss an opportunity to show my girls how one can be brave and at the same time a bit worried when going to get shots and stitches at the doctor. The convo with my second daughter went something like this:

Me: You know, Avers, Daddy's a little afraid about going to the doctor for a shot.

Avery: You can't be afraid.

Me (she had my attention): Oh, why's that?

Avery: Because you're Daddy. (Said with a very matter-of-fact tone.)

I think my heart actually melted in my chest that very moment.

How often have I wanted to say those very same words to my heavenly Daddy but balked in doubt? Not Avery. She said it assuredly. She said it with more faith than I feel I'll ever be able to muster.

I am reminded of the promise of G-d, "...as sure as the sunshine." Can I be that confident in Him? He says I can. Can I trust that He will be my rock when times are rough and fear crouches at the door of my heart? Can I bring my prayers and requests to Him with the same childlike faith that Avery showed me or will I let the circumstances of life dictate my response?

Can I rest on, "Because you're Abba-Daddy"?

No comments:

Post a Comment